Yogurt is a nutritious food that is packed with essential nutrients like calcium, protein, and probiotics. However, with so many options available at the grocery store, it can be overwhelming to choose the healthiest yogurt option. To help you make an informed decision, we have compiled a comprehensive list of the best and worst yogurt options at the grocery store, as recommended by nutritionists.
The Best Yogurt Options:
1. Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt is a great choice due to its high protein content and low sugar content. Opt for plain Greek yogurt instead of the flavored options to avoid added sugars.
2. Icelandic Yogurt – Icelandic yogurt, also known as skyr, is similar to Greek yogurt and is also high in protein and low in sugar. It is also a good source of probiotics.
3. Kefir – Kefir is a fermented dairy product that is rich in probiotics. It is also lower in lactose than regular yogurt, making it a good option for those with lactose intolerance.
4. Soy Yogurt – Soy yogurt is a good option for those who cannot consume dairy. It is rich in protein, calcium, and probiotics, making it a nutritious alternative to dairy-based yogurt.
The Worst Yogurt Options:
1. Flavored Yogurt – Flavored yogurts are often loaded with added sugars and artificial flavors. These can contribute to weight gain and other health problems.
2. Low-Fat Yogurt – Low-fat yogurt is often higher in added sugar to compensate for the lack of fat. Opt for full-fat yogurt instead, as it is more filling and provides a better balance of nutrients.
3. Fruit-On-The-Bottom Yogurt – Fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts often contain high amounts of added sugars and artificial flavors. Instead, opt for plain yogurts and add fresh fruit for natural sweetness.
By choosing the best yogurt options and avoiding the worst, you can reap the benefits of this healthy food and improve your overall health and well-being. Remember to always check the labels and choose options that are high in protein, low in sugar, and free from additives and artificial flavors.